Re: Newspapers as Primary Sources

It all depends on what you are researching.  Sure, newspapers articles/images have a slant, but that slant may be what you are studying...

Heather Willever-Farr
Electronic Records Archivist
American College of Physicians - American Society of Internal Medicine
190 N. Independence Mall West
Philadelphia, PA 19106-1572
hwillever-farr@mail.acponline.org
(w) 215-351-2470
(h) 215-481-0962

>>> Dean DeBolt <ddebolt@MAIL.UWF.EDU> 05/17/01 09:14AM >>>
Okay, class ... from my talks to groups about newspapers.

Are newspapers primary sources? Some wave their hands
yes, others wave their hands no. The definition of a primary
source is that it is eyewitness or closest in time to the actual
event. So, yes, newspapers are primary sources.

But the second issue is one of truth. Simply because it is an
eyewitness account or closest in time does not make it true.
That's why people debate newspapers as primary sources,
because we all have seen errors in writing and reporting in the
newspaper.

The third issue of the primary source is the "spin" or slant of
the person doing the reporting or writing. I know an autobiography
of a prominent congressman....he wrote it, his daughter edited it,
it is considered primary ... except since he lost his long tenure in
Congress because of ethics ... his book barely mentions that issue
so he (and his editing daughter) exits office merely "retiring."

Usually after I get the class to agree that newspapers are primary
sources ... I then pull out some of my newspapers (National Enquirer
or Weekly World News with lurid highly improbable headlines)...
we all have a good laugh and then I can talk about that just because
it is in print or primary does not make it true. A good researcher
will set out to have multiple proofs of a fact.

Dean
Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL 32514-5750