From: "Geri E. Solomon" <Geri.E.Solomon@HOFSTRA.EDU>
To: <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 11:02 AM
Subject: Help!!!!

> I'm not talking about attachments within letters. I'm not talking about
truth or falsehood. I'm talking about the ability of the folks in charge of
an archives/historical society/repostiory of any kind to decide which merits
time and money to preserve and make available.  Do you tackle the clippings
collection/vertical file because that's an easy definable project and you
know how to do that, or do you process a collection of family history???? Do
you photocopy/microfilm your clips because somebody has already written
dates in the corner and you can put it in chronological order or do you come
up with a series arrangement for that bunch of records from the President's
Office?  Just trying to get folks to come to grips with priorities....

> And by the way, we have a full run of all the University's newspapers, in
the original, in duplicate, and in microfilm.  I am NOT anti-newspaper, just
think that more resources should be spent dealing with the institutional
records and regional history collections that are one of a kind, not to be
found elsewhere, totally irretrievable!!!!!!!!