Newspaper clippings

I just want to make two small points in addition to what has been said:

1)  Even if the clippings are not intrinsically one-of-a-kind and not what we would consider "primary," many times it would be well-nigh impossible to locate them anew and put them back together again the way the creator of the collection had them.  For that reason, I think it is often good to keep a copy (or the original, however circumstances dictate) in the collection rather than just a list.  The clippings often really mean a lot in showing the context of the collection and the personality of the creator/institution.

2)  Many newspapers do not have their old files.  One of the most-used photos in our collection is in a clipping from a newspaper which discarded its morgue.  I get the impression that there are more than a few small-town newspapers which did this.  From time to time, we get requests for copies of this photo, once even from the newspaper itself!  They were glad someone had saved the clipping.  When you have a collection with a large number of clippings, there is absolutely no guarantee that they exist elsewhere, and to look them up individually would be absurdly time-consuming.  We don't spend lots of time on them, but copying them and/or saving the original in acid-free surroundings is a must; as someone pointed out, with pictorial material, it is better to save the original as well as the copy.

Fred Lautzenheiser
Cleveland Clinic Foundation