Re: newspaper clippings

Connie,

        This sounds like a wonderful resource for your community, particularly if
the local newspaper has not been indexed (and perhaps microfilmed).  The
volume of material you have sounds a bit daunting, but that's also what
makes it so valuable.  Here's what I might consider in your case.  Photocopy
each of the articles onto a separate page.  If some of them are long and
don't fit on one page, no problem, just make sure you have all of the
appropriate article copied and staple the copies  together with an
indication at the end of each page or column where the text continues on the
word, first word in the headline, whatever works), or by some code (say
volume and page number of the original scrapbooks), or just numerically.
The more critical step is in creating an index so researchers can get at the
information.  I've done several of these (though none as large as yours) and
just do a word searchable document that is keyed to the date, topic, or code
which will let you know where to find the photocopy.  The value of the word
searchable document is that you don't have to be "stingy" about what you
index or coming up with an authority list.  Every entry is only one more
line with a word or two and the code.  That way you can index a given
article under a half dozen different subjects or list the name of every
person mentioned in the article without having to decide which is the most
important information or the most appropriate term.  You can also add "See"
and "See also" entries right into the list as cross references for people
who will use the list.

        I would, of course, keep the original scrapbooks intact in your case.  The
one problem you may have is in making the photocopies if the books are bound
or fragile.

Catherine Bruck
University Archivist
Illinois Institute of Technology