Odorous materials

Title: Odorous materials

One of our churches recently had a severe water leak in the roof (among other things) that caused a beam to collapse in the sanctuary.. As a result, the older baptismal registers, etc. have been turned over to the Archives for safe-keeping.   Problem:  they came damp, so I spread them open and out to dry.  That has been accomplished.   Unfortunately, they now are sporting a very ugly oder which I am at a loss to rid them of.    Has anyone out there found a good, practical solution for the left-behind oder that accompanies bound volumes that have once been damp?

Lynne F. Wohleber
Archivist
Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh
325 Oliver Avenue