Re: Friday Funnies (was Stop Cheney)

Mark,

What! no electronic records?  Can't I still access them on my laptop and
other battery-op devices...?

Seriously, I knew there was a reason I still have a card catalogue on cards,
a treadle sewing machine, a manual printing press, a pump organ and oil
lamps all hanging around the house.  My daughter's girlfriends thought their
sleepover was shot when the power went and the VCR died.  Then they
discovered what it was like to hear Dorian and Fugue in D Minor on an old
organ by lamplight... I also showed them how to play Solitaire with real
cards.  They thought I was a real card, sorta...

I do think reading rooms with oil lamps would really add to the ambiance
enjoyed by those who love the feel of rag paper and Morrocan leather
bindings.  (No I'm not talking about the card-board covered wood-pulp stuff
that newspapers ended up in...sigh).  Of course, once iron gall ink eats
through the paper you still have some very lovely "lace."  Perhaps one could
have the west facing sunlit windows in the reading room decorated with lace
curtains.  And leather covered wing chairs, at least seventy years old with
a bit of red rot, and tables polished in lemon Pledge.  And for good
measure, lovely silver ash trays for the cigar smokers.

And then it's time to invite in the preservationists, conservators and
conservationists.

Don't ask me what this was all about.  It's Friday afternoon, I get off in a
few  minutes, and I just discovered that the reason this place is dead is
because there's only two classes that meet on Friday.  I could ask why I'm
even here, but I suspect there's an existentialist philosopher lurking about
on this list.

Holly Hodges