Catoging Periodicals in Databases, Paper and Electronic

The recent thread on using databases to index newspapers has got me
thinking about how to integrate the cataloging of periodicals into one?s
overall archives database, which is an issue we are dealing with right
now.  In particular, those of us not using software specifically designed
to handle periodicals, but systems geared towards discrete items/folders
with a single location, keeping the run together in the database can be a
little tricky.  I am wondering if anyone out there has come up with a good
way to turn a standard database into a sort of electronic kardex system?

Following this further, if one is dealing with electronic periodicals, how
do you integrate them into your database?  Can you provide direct links or
just reference?  And in terms of storage, would each issue of say a small
in-house newsletter be a file, or would you gather a year?s worth as a
single file?  Any thoughts on these issues will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chip Larkin
AT&T Archives
vlarkin@lga.att.com