Politics & Archives

Let's look at politics in an archival context.

Sharon <centans@TAMPABAY.RR.COM> wrote:

>If we don't get rid of the Republicans, we
>may soon find no funding at all for libraries
>and archives and then what happens to
>intellectual freedom???

Looking at the record:

The National Archives Building was funded, ground was broken, and construction
started during a Republican administration.

The National Archives lost its independence and became a vassal of the General
Services Administration during a Democratic administration.

National Archives independence was restored during a Republican
admninstration.

Archives II was funded, ground was broken, and most construction completed
during a Republican administration.

The single Archivist of the United States appointed solely on the basis of
political patronage, without any of the normal professional or academic
qualifications, was appointed by a Democratic president.

The three Archivists of the United States, all PhD's in history with previous
archival experience, who left the office under less than voluntary
circumstances, were pushed out during Democratic administrations.

Based on this record, getting rid of Republicans is far more likely to hurt
archives than help.