Copyright of images

Dear list:

One of our members, a professional photographer and published author, raised
an intriguing issue with me. He says that some corporations are taking legal
action against certain usages of images of their products. Not action
against the copyright to the photograph itself, but rather against showing
their product in the image without licensing fees or royalties being paid -
licensing the appearance of their product in an image, so to speak..

This makes sense to a point and has been done to an extent in the automotive
industry and car racing, but he said that it is spreading. Use of old press
release photographs is being called into question, as are photographs taken
by an ordinary person on the street that are submitted to a magazine or book
for publication.

This got my attention, as we use all manner of photographs of old equipment,
including products of two companies he cited as examples, in our quarterly
magazine and our calendar. Does anyone have any comment on or experience
with this?

Many thanks for any help given.

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Phone 419-352-5616
Fax 419-352-6086