Re: Copyright of images

> One of our members, a professional photographer and published author, raised
> an intriguing issue with me. He says that some corporations are taking legal
> action against certain usages of images of their products. Not action
> against the copyright to the photograph itself, but rather against showing
> their product in the image without licensing fees or royalties being paid -
> licensing the appearance of their product in an image, so to speak..

An intriguing question indeed. We are already dealing with something like
this in one of our collections. We take care of the corporate record of
the Monsanto Collection (Monsanto holds the rights; we're just the
custodians). One project of Monsanto's in particular generates a lot of
reference requests, namely an attraction at Disneyland called "House of
the Future" which ran from 1957 to 1967. I'm sure you can already see
where this is heading. Disney has made it clear to Monsanto that we cannot
release any picture of the house which shows Disneyland in any way. It's
not even a matter of paying licensing fees - we simply cannot do it.

Carole Prietto, University Archivist     phone:  (314) 935-9730
Washington University in St. Louis       fax:  (314) 935-8320
Box 1061, One Brookings Drive            prietto@library.wustl.edu
St. Louis, Missouri 63130