Re: politics and government employees

Thanks, Maarja, for your timely post on this matter.  As a federal
employee, I was considering writing something similar to the list, but now
I don't have to!  :)  Although we are allowed limited use of our work
computers for personal purposes,   chain letters, personal profit, and
political posturing are not any of them.  ttfn - Jill.

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://tundra.wr.usgs.gov/wrmrsAK/

                    Maarja Krusten
                    <Maarja@AOL.COM>            To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    Sent by: Archives &         cc:
                    Archivists                  Subject:     politics and government employees
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    05/21/2001 03:48 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Maarja

This is a note to remind Archives List readers that many subscribers read
and
post to the List from their work e-mail accounts.  Many are government
employees.  To paraphrase what is listed on the web site for the U.S.
Office
of Special Counsel, under the Hatch Act, Federal employees are prohibited
from soliciting or discouraging the political activity of anyone with
business before their agency.  Nor may they engage in political activity
while on duty. (Check out http://www.osc.gov/hatchact.htm)  Although the
Hatch Act focuses on political campaigning, it's good to keep in mind its
underlying purpose as you consider the recent political postings on this
List.  Federal employees are paid by the U.S. government, which gets money
through all of our tax dollars.  They are supposed to carry out their
workday
duties objectively.  So, I would guess that many government employees
prefer
to play it safe and avoid getting drawn into political postings through
their
work accounts.  BTW, I am posting this from my personal account at home
although I also subscribe to the List through my government work account.
Maarja Krusten
Maarja@aol.com