Re: Sharon Centanne's STOP CHENEY email to list

May 24, 2001

Dear Seth,

    As I mentioned at the outset of my message to the listserv, archives are
not separate from the real world of politics, and, in fact,  are utilized
every day to solve historical disputes and to solve thorny political
problems.  I know that all archivists are not the same, but I feel strongly
that we should be able to express political opinions on our listserv that
affect our archives responsibilities--such as energy policy and environmental
concerns.  These directly affect our jobs and facilities.

      I'm sorry that you are tired of politics, but you can always delete
whatever you don't want to read on our listserv.  I *do* think that the
discussions serve our archives profession and provide information on our
political perspectives--they show that some archivists are concerned about
current political or governmental decisions and how those decisions affect
our archival profession.  And, others are vocally apolitical online, and
unconcerned about the larger system that we all opperate within.  This is
useful historical context on archives in the 20th century.

    So, it's okay to disagree, Seth.   I don't think these discussions are
any more pointless than the Baker or white gloves discussions.  It's all of a
piece.  I would be exceedingly depressed if an historian reviewed our
postings 25 years from now and found us *only* preoccupied with red rot or
scanners and other routine matters.    Because you didn't identify yourself--
 I'd be interested to know who you are.  Your title/and institutional
affiliation is valuable because that helps to inform list servers about your
perspective,  where "you're coming from" so to speak.

    The topic of archivy, as you call it, is all-inclusive and
inter-disciplinary in my opinion.  And it's directly impacted--funding and
otherwise--by the politics of the day.  And, like-minded archivists (left or
right or middle of the road) should be able to express their opinions to each
other through our listserv.  So, I appreciated your message, just don't agree
that we should only discuss approved topics online.  And, I don't believe in
heaving bricks either, sorry.   Just words.HA           Lucinda