Re: Sharon Centanne's STOP CHENEY email to list

mAY 24, 2001

Dear Steve,

    I fully realize that some archivists feel that they are not able to
express their opinions at work, for fear of recrimination, or for other
reasons, but where were you taught that you should not express your opinions
online in a professional archival forum?  I'm puzzled by the attitude that
politics are separate from archives.  They are directly related to each
other--look at how archives resolve or clarify or complicate historical
debates by providing factual or conflicting or stunning new information to
the discussion.  I just don't understand archivists wanting to remain above
the fray of current political discussion about vitally important governmental
decisions that affect our jobs and facilities long-term.  Oh, well--can't you
just delete what you don't want to read?   Politics make the world go around.
        Lucinda