Educational Archives Programs--Results

First, I have to apologize for the long delay in sending out a summary of
tasks and hardly have any time to think. Please accept my apologies.

I am very appreciative of the many wonderful and helpful responses sent to
me regarding the educational archives programs question I sent out to the
list a month or two ago.

Following is a summary of the responses. If you would like details on
anything, please email me directly and I will be happy to accommodate you.

? Mary Markey from the Maryland Historical Society reminded me to
check with the Education Department at the MHS about their History
Explorers program.
? Jeff Malcolmson mentioned Maryland's National History Day and how
involved the Arizona State Library has been in Arizona National History Day.
? Tom Wilsted mentioned the Issues of the Holocaust site at UCONN's
library:http://www.lib.uconn.edu/DoddCenter/ASC/Nuremberg/introduction.htm.
? The National Archives site (www.nara.gov) has developed many
programs for schools both at the Archives and at the schools. Topics
include genealogy and the Constitution. The Education Branch has been
working to develop programs that specifically meet the History Curriculum.
? Ohio Historical Society's educational programs especially History
to Go: Field Trips and Programs
(http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/teachers/).
? I received a wonderful list of different archives and educational
websites with lesson plans, activities and primary documents for educators
from Heather Willever-Farr at the American College of Physicians. There
were many great resources on this list (too many to mention here).
? The NYS archives offers a Student Research Award program each year,
which is discussed on their website under services to teachers and students
(http://www.archives.nysed.gov). Julie Daniels at the archives also
mentioned National History Day.
? The Alabama Department of Archives and History has ten units for
teachers utilizing web documents for classroom use at
http://www.archives.state.al.us/teacher/psources.shtml.
? Lastly, Heather Muir at the Immigration History Research Center
pointed me to an excellent list she has compiled on classroom lesson plans
relating to immigration history and ethnicity at
http://www1.umn.edu/ihrc/lessons.htm. Ms Muir also mentioned the American
Memory project at the Library of Congress which has great lesson plans
online at http://learning.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpedu/lessons/.

Again, I thank you all for your quick and thorough responses. They were all
very helpful. The Education Director and I are working on archives
education programs for the Museum and I will pass along anything we develop
to the list.

Abby Lester
Archivist and Librarian
The Jewish Museum of Maryland