Re: ethical question

Weeeelll,

Couldn't this go under the rubric of "publish or perish"?  Most academic
institutions expect their faculty to write articles and books.  Granted CIA
is probably different than a more "standard" university, but under the basic
assumption that any article advertising the institution, drawing more
attention & use to their collections, and thereby increasing the value of
the institution to the public, I would think they'd appreciate the effort.

I see no problem with taking the money for the article - you're the one
doing the work, you're the one who will have to handle the increased
reference requests, and it's only because of your existence that the
opportunity has presented itself.  I think you should follow the brass'
preference and do it on your own time if they insist on it - which I think
would be a little narrowminded, personally - but the money should be your
pay for your work.  The only issue is if they have a specific policy against
taking pay for outside work.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021