Government Database Destroyed As A Result of and Following FOIA Request

GOVERNMENT WEBMASTERS ARCHIVE HAS BEEN
DESTROYED
by Michael Ravnitzky , mikerav@ix.netcom.com

So much for the importance of records retention schedules.  I
am pleased to say that my request for access to these archves
specifically and directly resulted in a decision to delete them in
their entirety, removing them from further reference use and
preventing their use for historical or research use in the future.
This ability to shred entire archives in their entirety should give
pause to anyone who favors conversion of paper records to
electronic format, since agencies and their employees
apparently feel that wholesale destruction of electronic records
is not only proper but laudatory.

Michael Ravnitzky

> > > Subject:  Termination of Webmaster Archives
> > >
> > > It is done....
> > > &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
> > >
> > > On Wed, 23 May 2001 16:52:51 -0400, Brown, Linda, ,
OSD-C3I
> > > <Linda.Brown@OSD.MIL> wrote:
> > >
> > > Currently all postings to this webmaster list are archived
and
> > > available to the list's members via the web.  List members
can
> > > obtain a password via the web.  While this is good from a
user
> > > access point of view, it is also a vulnerability.  There are
some
> > > concerns that the composite of all the content in the
postings
> > > could present sufficient system and other information to
enable
> > > those with malicious intent a better chance at targeting and
> > > succeeding in exploiting more vulnerable web servers.
> > >
> > > All of these postings are subject to the Freedom of
Information
> > > Act (FOIA) and discovery during litigation.  That means that
we
> > > should expect that sooner or later members' postings will
be
> > > released in response to FOIA or litigation discovery
requests.
> > > Under FOIA it is clear that most postings would be
released.  We
> > > are also very much aware that we do not have the
resources needed
> > > to respond to requests of this nature.  Such requests are
manpower
> > > intensive and there are no dedicated resources available to
work
> > > on/respond to such requests.
> > >
> > > Additionally, there are some concerns as to whether
postings to
> > > this list when stored in an archive become a system of
records
> > > subject to the rules under the Privacy Act, requiring a
Privacy
> > > Act Notice and other safeguards. If our archive were to be
> > > determined to be a system of records covered by the
Privacy Act,
> > > it would be necessary to publish notice in the Federal
> > > after obtaining approval through the appropriate DoD
channels.
> > > Publication of a notice in the Federal Register would
include
> > > information about the archive and would most likely
increase the
> > > chances for external requests for access to the information.
If
> > > the list's archives were to be deemed a Privacy Act system
of
> > > records, then continuing to operate the archive without
approval,
> > > notice in the Federal Register, and Privacy Act notices to
> > > members, could subject the listowner to personal liability.
> > >
> > > Sometimes the world isn't as simple as we'd like it to be.
Many
> > > people found the archive extremely useful as a resource.
Over
> > > time it has become more valuable because of the many
wonderful
> > > contributions of all the list's members. Sadly, the more
valuable
> > > the archive, the more it also becomes a liability.  With
attention
> > > to our increasingly litigious society and the growing
number of
> > > network incidents, it is also apparent that it could be a
> > > double-edged sword, used to harm as well as help.
Unfortunately
> > > in assessing risks and benefits, it appears that retaining
the
> > > archive is or will become more of a liability than a benefit,
> > > despite its value to individual members. Thus, we have
come to the
> > > difficult decision that the archive needs to be shutdown, all
> > > postings deleted, and all backups of those archives
destroyed.

> > > Effective May 31, 2001, the archives for the webmaster list
will
> > > be deleted/terminated and no further archives will be
maintained.