Finding 19th Century Illustrations

Good Morning.

I don't know if such a thing exists, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a general subject index of illustrations in ante-bellum to mid-19th Century magazines.  I know that Harpers Magazine gives a list of illustrations at the beginning of each volume in the 1850s.  If not, does anyone have any tips about locating such items? Also, am I correct in assuming that all such illustrations are in the public domain?

Please reply directly to me, with a copy to the list if you wish, as I only get the digest.

John Kelly