Fwd: WEBSITE LAUNCH: UNDERSTANDING SOCIETY THROUGH ITS RECORDS

Hi Everyone,
I've been asked to forward the following
announcement to the list.

Thanks,
Bob Schmidt
Archives Listserve Coordinator
Miami University Archives
Oxford, Ohio 45056
513-529-6720
rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu

The John Curtin Prime Ministerial Library at
Curtin University of Technology
is pleased to launch its new UNDERSTANDING SOCIETY
THROUGH ITS RECORDS
website at http://john.curtin.edu.au/society/ - an
educational resource on
the importance of recordkeeping to society. This
major new web resource is
part of the JCPML's ongoing endeavour to
contribute to the development and
promotion of archives.

Understanding Society Through Its Records is a
"world-first" resource that
explains the concepts and universal importance of
recordkeeping to personal
life and to business and government. Using
graphics and interactivity, it
distinquishes records from other forms of
information and demonstrates the
"work" they perform as the "documentary glue"
holding society together. The
site features:

· explanations of the principles and concepts for
managing all forms of
purposefully recorded evidence for as long as
required.
· a sensible and accessible framework for
understanding recordkeeping in
most environments- offices and repositories,
collecting and in-house, large
and small, traditional and electronic.
· images, references and links to print and online
readings selected from
across the Australian, US, Canadian and
International Council on
Archives (ICA) literature.
· summaries of the best of English-speaking
practice and showcases
Australian contributions to recordkeeping
knowledge and practice.

Please consider this virtual launch as an OPEN
INVITATION to all of you to
visit our site at
http://john.curtin.edu.au/society/ and give us
your
feedback on the usefulness of what we have
presented.  As this site is an
ongoing project, we invite you to volunteer your
ideas and creativity to the
compilation as it develops.  We are also
interested in snippets, anecdotes,
cartoons, press cuttings, scenarios, jokes,
recipes, scandals, pictures
(preferably all copyright cleared before you send
them to us!) -- anything
you might have or dream up in your own creative
minds -- that you think
would help people better understand and appreciate
archives and
recordkeeping.

We look forward to hearing from you!

(Email: jcpml@boris.curtin.edu.au or use the Guest
Book option on the
website)

Kandy-Jane Henderson (Archivist, John Curtin Prime
Ministerial Library)
Ann Pederson (Visiting Fellow in Recordkeeping
Studies in the School of
Information Systems, Technology & Management at
the University of New South
Wales and the author of this web resource!)