Re: Moving a Collection to a new location

A few things from my emergency move last year:

1) Talk to the movers before they come in to do the work; have them look at
the collections so they understand what you're actually talking about

2) Find out what they plan on using to move the boxes - the movers we had
(it was from one place to another within the building) brought in bookcases
on wheels, essentially, and everything was placed on them for moving.  Make
sure whatever they use will meet your standards before OKing it

3) Once you've hired somebody, have them come in to walk through the move -
our guys labeled every shelf in order before the move, following my
instructions, for the order the boxes were to come off the shelves.  If they
get this wrong, you'll spend years figuring out where they put stuff

4) SUPERVISE. SUPERVISE. SUPERVISE.  Hopefully you will find a quality mover
with people who know their jobs.  Stay with them anyway, and watch what they
do, even if you feel like a mother hen.  You're the one who will have to
clean up the mess if it gets done incorrectly, so stand over them & make
sure it's done right.

Good luck,

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021