Patron Registration question

We are considering computerizing our patron registration process at the Kansas State Historical Society.

The type of information we currently ask for in a paper environment is name, address, and photo ID (usu. driver's license - which in Kansas is often social security number), plus a signature stating they have read and will abide by our researcher policies.  Currently, the patron fills out all of the card except for their ID #, which staff records while confirming address info. The patron is then assigned a registration card #, which is used like a library card.

We are considering computerizing this process by having staff enter the name, address, ID #, etc. directly into a database.

Would like to hear from others insitutions who have moved to a computerized registration process - how satisfied are you with it? What things would you like to change about the process? Do you find that it takes more time or less time (or about the same) as your previous process - particularly if it was paper-based? How do your patrons feel about having their names, addresses, etc. entered into a computer instead of written on paper? Do your patrons express concerns about security/privacy of their information? Have you encountered any problems or dangers with the privacy of patron information in an electronic environment?  Any other insight on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Linda Barnickel
LBarnickel@kshs.org

Head of Reference