Re: Patron Registration question

We're doing it through an MSAccess database with a Visual Basic overlay that not only tracks registrations (and generates the list of policies which they must sign) but also patron questions, records used and ordered, origins of the question (email, phone, etc) and generates our billing statements and usage reports.  Our system is probably a little too elaborate for most institutions, but it works well for us.  We've never issued cards to the researchers, so researchers don't actually end up with a piece of paper to show us that they have already signed, so we do need another way of tracking.

We have a number of patrons who are leery of giving us personal information (name, address, phone number): Utah having more than its share of individuals with a strong distrust of government in any form--though apparently still with a need to utilize those records.  But as far as I can tell, no more so than were expressing concern when we were doing it with paper.  Usually the concern they express to me isn't fear of the electronic format, but that we'll then turn around and make these lists available to other governmental agencies or perhaps even sell them as mailing lists.  I continue to explain to them that by state law these are considered private (just like their library cards and library checkout records) and that we destroy these records as a part of our regular retention schedule after 3 years.  Only rarely do I need to explain that if they don't sign, they don't get to play with the records.

As far as time consumed, it might be faster if we were doing paper and having the patron filling out the form, so it's added a little staff effort to the procedure.  However, that's time we save in having to look up the name and checking to see if we have a signed registration already in place from the individual on their next visit.

The short answer?  (too late for short, I suspect)  I like the electronic system.  Since our reference duties circulate amongst an 8-person staff, any shortcuts are welcome.

This does bring me to my own questions: I suspect we don't have enough of a repeat researcher base to make giving out cards useful.   For those of you who do this: do you have a lot of repeat researchers?  And do they remember to bring their cards or do you have to look them up a lot?

Arlene Schmuland
Patron Services Archivist
Utah State Archives Research Center
aschmula@das.state.ut.us