sampling advice

I am faced with the request to accession a series of travel funding
reports prepared by the Budget Office at our campus for the Board of
Regents, giving names of faculty, department, travel funds allotted,
conference attended.  As the details are valuable and as the BOR does not
seem to summarize the reports, mention them in their minutes, or even
summarize them, these reports appear quite valuable.  The budget office
produces the report for every BOR meeting (essentially once per month,
except for July and December).  This amounts to a lot of paper!

As a result, I wondering if we could legitimately sample.  If so, what
criteria should I select?  If have thought I would select perhaps the two
months with the highest number of entries and the two months with the
lowest number.  This would give a range of travel at the University.  I
would go through a series of years, selecting which two months on the
average were the highest and which were the lowest.  Then we would retain
those four months for each year, say every September, December, May and
July, and discard the rest.

Please feel welcome to critique this idea in any way.  If enough of you
think it is best to retain the entire run, I will do so.  If on the other
hand, you have suggestions for better sampling, please share them.

Finally, I have had to put my subscription on "Nomail."  Please respond to
me personally at jimc@hawaii.edu

Thanks for your help.

Jim C           <jimc@hawaii.edu>