Hotel Deposit and Cancellation Policies

Dear All:

I am responding to Steve Gietschier's recent posting regarding the Washington
Hilton and Towers deposit and cancellation policies.

You may be surprised to know that, for most convention hotels in major
cities, a prepaid deposit of one night's room and tax and a forty-eight to
seventy-two hour cancellation policy is standard procedure.  Given three days
notice, it is much easier to "resell" a canceled hotel room then if the room
is canceled the day of check-in.
While the hotel is simply trying to protect themselves from lost revenue,
this could be an unwelcome surprise to the unsuspecting convention go-er.

I will check with SAA's webmaster to see if we can add this information to
SAA's 2001 annual meeting program online which can be found at
www.archivists.org.
I'll also make a note for future programs to include the hotel's deposit and
cancellation policies.

Sincerely,

Debbie Nolan

Debra Mills Nolan, CAE
Meeting Director, Society of American Archivists
(561)745-8353, (561)745-8354 fax, DNolan@archivists.org or DebNolan@aol.com.
Mark your calendar for the 2001 Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting
to be held August 27 - September 2, in Washington, DC, at the Washington
Hilton and Towers, 2001: A Global Archival Odyssey.