Re: Archives in the News -- Ohio University

 Since it is Friday ....

 I partied down at OU in the 70's but I don't recall that bit of
folklore - but then again I don't recall much of that time period to begin
with. I was attending Case Western which was not much of a party school
(understatement) and many of my high school buddies went to OU.

 We have two types of these folklore questions - ghosts and UFO's. We have
a building that is supposedly haunted and every time the student newspaper
gets a new editor they come looking for dirt. We have nothing but old
student newspaper articles!

 The UFO angle comes from two sources. A man named Newton gave a talk on
UFO's here not long after WWII. It was not recorded and there are no
transcripts or copies of his speech, but it was reported in the local
media and picked up nationally. It was one of thhe first talks on the
subject. Newton somehow got involved with Roswell and was later sent to
prison for fraud, but every UFO researcher has to check with the
University of Denver Archives about this. We also have some papers of
Donald Menzel, who was a DU alum and later a famous Harvard Astronomer. He
was supposed to have had all the secrets about Area 51, Project Blue Book,
etc etc etc. We have nothing to support this but it leads to all sorts of
very strange research requests.

Steve Fisher
University of Denver