Vertical file of school info/Friday story

With new students beginning classes every three weeks, we have an even-more continuously rotating student body than most people, and since our main building was built as a seminary in about 1902, people are curious about that history as well as the CIA's history. I put together a binder with copies of articles, etc., about the history of the school and its buildings, including a good series of articles that were in a student magazine several years ago that discuss the school when it was a Jesuit seminary. This is available in the Reserve collection.

SInce it's Friday: One of our more Halloween-ish stories (a true one) is that one of the rooms under the former seminary chapel was a mausoleum. When the school bought the building, the bodies had to be moved out, and it turned out that one of the bodies had not been properly embalmed, and had exploded in its coffin. This left a terrible stench in the room. People tried many different remedies for it, with little success. Finally, the president of the school pulled out some "bad sherry" that had been given to him, and had it sprinkled liberally in the room. This got rid of the smell.

We also have a ghost story about the ghost of "Father Murphy" who periodically shows up in the parking lot, but the faculty member who tells this story assures me that the "ghost" effect is actually caused by a street lamp that casts the shadow of people in front of them on fog, and that there actually isn't a ghost.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Dean DeBolt <ddebolt@MAIL.UWF.EDU> 06/22/01 09:55AM >>>
[snip] Doug
McCabe, Curator of Manuscripts in Archives and Special Collections
at Ohio University, Athens -- and showing him opening the file cabinet
to show off the "Spook" file.   It appears they have a vertical file with
hanging folders with information on some of the most common topics
requested about the area -- a very good idea for most college campuses
where a continuously-rotating student/faculty body ask questions
about campus monuments, building names, and the like.