survey marker

I'm trying to find information about a survey marker embedded in the
concrete above a window well in one of the buildings on campus. The building
was constructed in 1911. Until recently, the marker was hidden from view by
shrubbery. The marker is metal and approximately 4 inches in diameter. It
reads:

U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey
and State Survey
Station
No.
Elevation
Feet

I would like to know what this marker means. I don't know anything about
surveying, so my attempts at research have been rather fruitless. Could
someone tell me the significance of this marker and how I might learn more?
I would appreciate any information and help that you can give.

Thank you.

Laurie Langland
Project Archivist
Dakota Wesleyan University