Re: Nature's RAIN

No - Norman does have some (not ALL) original documents from the various
scientists he has "collected" - I only mentioned Watson & Crick because i
figured their names would be most readily recognizable.  He has the
original correspondence between W/C & Rosalind Franklin, whose x-ray
crystallographic work was at the heart of the double helix interpretation;
and he has an original draft of the manuscript that became Watson's book on
the subject.  Other scientists have made copies of their papers and
sold/donated the originals to an agent who has in turn gotten them to
Norman.   Like others have said - read the article and decide for
yourself.....

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://minerals.usgs.gov/west/alaska.html

                    "Stephen E. Novak"
                    <sen13@COLUMBIA.EDU>        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    Sent by: Archives &         cc:
                    Archivists                  Subject:     Re: Nature's RAIN
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    06/27/2001 05:37 AM
                    Please respond to
                    "Stephen E. Novak"

To respond to Jennifer Gunther's post. Yes, Watson's papers are still at
the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. I know this because the Librarian
there told me so only a few months ago. In fact, I believe they now have
an archivist organizing the papers.

I haven't read the article yet, but I wonder if this isn't an instance
of mistaken identity. Norman is primarily a rare book dealer and often
dealers -- esp. dealers in scientific/medical works like Norman -- refer
to the reprints of a scientist's articles as his/her "papers."

--
Stephen E. Novak
Head, Archives & Special Collections