When does a Company's administrative history end?

Dear Archives & Archivists LISTSERV,

When does a Company's administrative history end?

While writing up administrative histories for some Australian businesses,
which are part of the Australian Business Archive Directory I have been
faced with a quandary of when does an administrative history end, especially
for businesses that have been taken over by another company. Does, for
example, Company A's administrative history end once it is taken over by
Company B as its operations become part of Company B's and therefore part of
its administrative history and yet, for example, Company A's  retail stores
still operate under the Company A name, creating their own records?
Name changes are also another issue.

I'd appreciate any feed back on this matter.

Regards,

Catherine Nolan

Archivist and Special Projects Officer
Email: nolanc@yarracity.vic.gov.au