Re: Lessons Learned in Houston--Disposal of Flood Damaged Boxes

Sharon:
I hate to sound like an advertisement, but Gaylord does sell coroplast
currogated plastice storage cartons in document case and record center
carton size, but at around $10/box, about twice the price of the
standard stuff, I know I won't be running out and buying any.  I've
never known an archives that had all the money it needed, and I think
most of these problems can be solved in a much cheaper way by following
standard archival/preservation/risk management thinking on these
subjects, such as:

Never store stuff on the floor (sorry Paul)
Never use a basement to store irreplacable stuff e.g. archives (too bad
resource allocators don't listen, if they don't, go ahead and buy the
plastic cartons by the gross, maybe they even float.) ;-)
Have a disaster plan ready
Have you hugged your BMS Cat, Belfor, Munters rep. lately?

As the man said, "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later!"

Oh, and I predict the next one hundred year flood will arrive in the
next five years-start planning now.
Mark

Mark Lambert
Special Collections and Government Documents Librarian
South Texas College of Law Library
Houston, TX