Re: Lessons Learned in Houston--Disposal of Flood Damaged Boxes

Sharon Centanne asked:

I am wondering if there is a type of plastic container that would keep water

out of records stored in basements?  Something that could be sealed like
Tupperware, but would not have outgasing problems?

I can't answer to that particular question but there is another lesson from
the "late unpleasantness" that is worth noting-at it does concern plastic
containers.

My wife and I were the first to enter the one floor, no basement public
library where she works. It didn't exactly flood but a lot of water did seep
in at the doors and the carpet wicked it throughout the building.  There was
standing water in some areas while other spots remained dry-at least they
were when we entered.  The books on shelves were high and dry.
Unfortunately one of the librarians had hundreds on the floor in her office
and there were others in cardboard boxes in a closet.  The books stacked on
the carpet and in the cardboard boxes were ruined.  Those in plastic boxes
and tubs escaped damage.

Also, when we entered the furniture seemed just fine.  By the next day the
particle board cubicles and partitions had absorbed water and were falling
apart.

Keeping in mind that actual flooding is rare but wet floors (especially on
the Gulf Coast) are common there are a couple of lessons here.

Lesson 1.  If you have to stack books or papers on the floor, put them into
plastic boxes.  If you have to stack cardboard boxes on the floor, put them
on pallets.

Lesson 2.  When buying furniture (and, as Mark noted earlier, shelves) do a
little risk management analysis and ask yourself (or the finance people)
what are the chances and costs if it gets wet.

Paul (No Kin to Kim) Scott
Harris County, Texas