Re: database recommendations

Dear List,

Several days ago I queried the list as to database recommendations for an imaging project that complied with all Dublin Core requirements.  I wish to sincerely thank the five people who responded with recommendations.

Because I also had three requests to share this information, I will attempt to summarize:

1.  "Have you looked at Content from the University of Washington?"

2.  "Any good database can be configured to meet Dublin Core field requirements.  We use Filemaker Pro, but many others use Access--equally successfully."

3.  "I suspect the answer you don't want to hear is that you should build your own database from a standard DB package."

4.  "I am looking seriously at two:  First, InMagic's DB/Textworks.....Second, I am looking into CONTENTdm..."

5.  "I thought about replying but decided against it because our system doesn't quite do all this yet--but we are developing such a system.  The database I am referring to is MAVIS (Merged AudioVisual Information System..."

My understanding of the Imaging Project here at Indiana University Library is that ACCESS is the DB upon which all else is built.

My choice for my project is using ENCompass with the Voyager Imageserver as that will be the best "match" to the ILS now in use.  The targeted institution is very small, does not have the resources [or requirements] of a large research institution, the luxury of qualified programers, nor the time to play around making a customized database which even then would be of questionable conformity to the Dublin Core standard.  What I need is something that is nearly "plug and play" and I suspect that other folks are in this situation, too.

Thanks to all,

Richard Lytle