Co-curricular records

College & University archivists, what is your collecting policy with regard
to student co-curricular records.  Our Student Affairs division established
its own independent records management plan for student records some years
ago, but this past year sent me a couple of feet of student co-curricular
records (material concerning organizations and activities individual
students participated in while undergraduates).  I can see this information
being of some value in the future as I frequently get inquiries from
genealogists and/or descendants of former students, who want to know what
activities their family member participated in as a student.  I have two or
three reservations about keeping the material though.  First is space, of
course.  Secondly, these records do not come to archives on any kind of
regular schedule; they simply come at the whim of whoever is cleaning out
the filing cabinets in Student Affairs, so they're unlikely to ever be very
encompassing of the student body.  Finally, I am not really clear about
where they fall within FERPA.  Is info about what sorority a student
belonged to considered confidential? I'd appreciate your input. Laura McLemore

"He who destroyes a good Booke, kills reason it selfe"

Dr. Laura McLemore, CA
College Archivist
Austin College
Suite 6L