Re: PBS show: Lost Archives

----- Original Message -----
From: Connie Jones
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 12:25
Subject: PBS show

> First allow me to apologize if you have already heard of this, I am a bit
> behind on reading my email. Tonight, at least on my local PBS station, is
> series of specials called "Phenomenon: The Lost Archives." Tonight's
> episode: "Noah's Ark Found?" ..... In my listings it says it repeats on
> Sundays. There are definitely more than one episode, but I'm not sure how
> many... at least 5.

Here's a description of  the series from Amazon.com.  As Daniel S. said
about the high school students who couldn't answer basic questions about
American history: "Sad.  Sad sad sad.  I shouldn't be surprised, but..."

"UFOs, ancient mysteries and future science; fifty years of government
secrets kept, not only from our enemies, but from ourselves! "Phenomenon:
The Lost Archives" is the first program to delve into the forbidden
storeroom of lies, secrets and cover-ups used by powerful people and
governments to keep the public in the dark. From the stolen journals of
Nicola Tesla, to the anchors of Noah's Ark on the peaks of Mt. Ararat, to
the 40 megaton explosion in the wastelands of Siberia. "Phenomenon: The Lost
Archives" exposes the almost inconceivable stories of deceit, conspiracy,
sanctioned piracy and scientific knowledge hidden from the world for far too
long. Finally, all that you haven't seen about everything you shouldn't
know. 13 one-hour episodes on a two disc set, hosted by Dean Stockwell.
Episodes: Tunguska: The Russian Roswell; Noah's Ark Found?; Stolen Glory:
The Cover-Up of Cosmonaut Vladimir Ilyushin; Follow Me: Anatomy of a Cult;
Are We Alone in the Universe?; Abduction: A UFO Controversy; UFO Contact:
The Truth is Stranger Than Fiction; UFO Top Secret: The U.S. Government's
Secret UFO Research Project; Tesla: The Genius Who Lit the World; Tech
Deception: Inside the U.S. Government's HARP Program; Free Energy: The
Coming Energy Revolution; Phenomenon: The Footage Archives; Truth or
Consequences: The Space Station Scam "

Tell me this tired nonsense is not really going to be on PBS!   Say it ain't
so. I demand my pledge money back.  Here's the real "phenomenon", quotidian
as it may be: An awful lot of people revel in consuming "almost
inconceivable stories of deceit, conspiracy, sanctioned piracy and
scientific knowledge hidden from the world for far too long" and would
sooner read or watch (and maintain a belief in) exotic, romantic,
pseudo-scientific, cloud-cuckooland claptrap that accords with their
misguided notions of the way things are (or at least oughta be) than accept
mundane proof to the contrary.  And, God, I know, I'm one. Unless I pinch
myself.  Such bruises I have.

It's shows like these (and the myriad books that spawn them) that make me
wonder what good archives are when so many people see either nothing or only
what their preconceptions let them see. The numerous real instances of
genuine perfidious government conspiracies and cover-ups don't help, of
course, but for all of the accumulated knowledge in libraires and archives,
available for the asking, sitting around the fire telling big bad bogeyman
stories is as popular today as when Noah and sons built that ark.  Maybe the
real scarey story is that the greatest good for the greatest number--to come
from libraries and archives, I mean--is, to invoke the Rod, not that they
provide a path to the summit of our knowledge but rather to the pit of our
fears.

Yours, come Heck (a bow to those who don't like foul language on the
listserv) or high water.

Michael "From the Tribe of  Ham*" Tarabulski
Archivist
International Jazz Collections
Lionel Hampton Center
University of Idaho