Transfer of wire recordings--summary

I had more responses that I expected to my query about transfering
wire recordings to more modern media. They included the following:

*LC may have a working wire recorder

*Adrian Cosentini, the Chief Audio Engineer for The Rodgers &
Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound, can handle wire recordings--
would
be doing this on his own time in his own studio as a free lance
engineer, not
as an engineer for Rodgers & Hammerstein.
I can be reached at:
acosentini@juno.com
acosentini@nypl.org

*We have a wire recorder/player that was working the last time we
used it.  I'd be happy to make a cassette copy of your wire recording.

Tim Ericson
Archives & Special Collections
Golda Meir Library
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
TLE@gml.lib.uwm.edu

I work on wire recordings regularly.
There is a section of my web site where I discuss them adn the costs
of
making copies.
=========================
Steven Smolian    301-694-5134
Smolian Sound Studios
CDs made from old recordings,
Five or one or lifetime hoardings,
Made at home or concert hall,
Text and pics explain it all.
at www.soundsaver.com

*I've developed a radical redesign to an Ampex professional audio
reocrder than enables wire to be played back with signficantly
increased clarity and significantly reduced speed fluctuations.  It's
visible on my website and samples can be heard there too.
I've passed your campus a number of times while visiting one of my
clients, the FDR Library.
Best Regards
Art Shifrin
www.shifrin.net

*try the Institute of Historical Survey in New Mexico.  In
addition to housing the archives of the Episcopal Diocese of the Rio
Grande,
Evan Davies' institution provides access to their collection of
"retired"
equipment, which he makes available to researchers with similar
problems.
Contact them at <ihsf@zianet.com>.

* would recommend with George Blood in Philadelphia, or Adrian
Cosentino at
the NYPL Rodgers & Hammerstein Archive.  George transferred a wire
recording
for us last year (he has a special machine for this which prevents
rewind
disasters) and did a fabulous job.

*We have a wire recording machine.  Let me know if you cannot get
access to
one closer to you.
Mike Pullin
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
MPullin@swbts.edu

There was one other query that I sent from my home e-mail, and I have
not yet checked to see if I have a response from that. If it is
positive, I'll send that information to the list, as well.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive