Real world of way behind archives...

Hi all!

This list has been so helpful & friendly in the past. I am hoping some of
you in historic homes/buildings wouldn't mind giving me your opinion on a
matter I am contemplating.

Here's the background:

I work at a historic house museum where museum professionals have only been
employed for around the last 18 years of the 42 or so years it's been
around. The years previous, the house was run by a dedicated group of
volunteers. I am the sole staff person in charge of the Special Collections
and 'archives', out of a team of 4 collections staff. There are about 100+/-
other staff that work here in various departments such as Facilities,
Historic Structures, Horticulture, Marketing, Development, Membership,
Volunteers, etc.  The main focus of my job right now (and probably for the
next 10 or so years) is organizing the Special Collections (the historical
materials of the family that lived here). In other words, processing them,
arranging them, creating finding aids, cataloging them, etc. Very little of
that has been done in the past, so it is much needed.

There is no 'organized' institutional archives as of yet. There are files
and materials in boxes (most without labels, of course) of various events
and projects stored in a closet near my office. The bulk of the
institutional records reside in various departments and their closets. In
other words, there is no centralized place someone can go to find
everything.

We currently have a HUGE restoration project going on that involves the main
house and almost all of the surrounding gardens. I have had many requests
for documentation about what was originally done on the property (historical
records) as well as what previous staff/volunteers have done since the
family deeded over the estate (materials all over).

Add to this, I have a researcher who is studying our English Garden for a
major research project. I have not even heard of some of the material she is
requesting, and is even getting from other staff members.

The Question:

I am contemplating asking various departments if they would like to clean
out their closets and give me the records, etc. so they are all in one
place. (with the exception of the business office - they do their own
records management)

At first glance, this sounds easy: of course! That's how archives are run!
-but-
then I run into a few issues:

- I won't have any real time to go through these materials to make them
really accessible/researchable until the Special Collections are under
control - about 8-10 years.

- The departments know where their own materials are at, for the most part,
and they are physically near them. I am afraid they will not want to turn
the materials over to me for fear of losing the easy access they once had
over them.

- The materials do belong in the archives (photos & records documenting
preservation/restoration and other projects on site), yet they are used
rather frequently (from what I gather) by their departments. Often without
thinking of proper preservation techniques like wearing gloves while
handling photos.

- I am afraid that if the departments keep these materials in their areas,
there is the tendency to want to 'clean house' and some materials will be
inadvertantly pitched. I have started to bring up to a few staff the
importance of their materials & my dream of a centralized archives one day
where this material will have a proper home & will be taken care of. Most
are flattered by this and at that time agree to keep their eye out. But with
as busy as we all are, I just get the feeling that gets pushed to the side.

So, I know some of you have had to come across this situation before:
Do I ask for the material to bring it all together, even though I won't be
able to process it for several years?
or
Do I let things stay the way they are & still hunt around to try to find
material on the English Garden in 4 different departments in 3 different
buildings & risk that some might be 'misplaced'?

What would you do in this situation? I know that textbook rules don't always
work best in the real world.

Thanks so much!!
Bridgette 'drowning in work & loving it' Kelly

Bridgette A. Kelly, Special Collections Manager
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
714 N. Portage Path
Akron, OH  44303
ph: 330-315-3232   fax: 330-836-2680