unprocessed collections (was: real world of way behind archives)

2 cents from my viewpoint:

I would still be quite cautious about allowing access to unprocessed
materials. Circumstances will be different at each institution, based upon
staff, physical set-up, the quantity of material requested, the condition of
the material (e.g., it may be brittle), etc. I would leave out of the
equation the issue of whether or not you know the person requesting the
materials. Sometimes people in a position of advantage will take it (and
sometimes not), and there are researchers of both types.

The bottom line: look to the mission statement of your institution, and then
consider whether the materials are under custodial or curatorial care.
(Personally, I would not allow access to materials with curatorial status.)
While this seems like a major way to deal with a straightforward yes-no
question (Do I allow the researcher to handle and work with unprocessed
materials?), it is a way to keep in mind that your institution's materials,
whatever their status, are in demand and there should be a written policy to
deal with requests for access.

Remember, it's just 2 cents...

Sincerely,
Marcia Segal