preservation of flags

We have a number of interesting preservation problems in our archives at
the moment.  Can anyone give us some advice on what we should do with a
U.S. infantry flag, possibly World War II, made of what feels like heavy
silk, which is perishing along one edge and discolored in a band across the
middle, but otherwise the silk and the embroidered emblem are beautiful and
in reasonably good condition?  What is the best way of preserving
cloth?  Also, we've found two rolled-up Asian watercolors (of Kuan-Kung and
Chow Chang, God of War and Home Protector, according to the label, which
also says "Hangchow College Museum of Religion"), donated in 1929 by an
alumnus, that are falling to bits--they have crumbled at the edges and torn
in strips around the roll--but the painting looks beautiful from what we
can see of it.  Any suggestions?

Katherine Collett
Archives
Burke Library