Copyright strikes again

      I have a copyright question.  I know, no one on the list is a
     copyright lawyer, but I'd like to get some opinions anyway.

     We have some blueprints in our collection of a house designed by an
     architect for our donor.  Who would hold copyright?  Is this a
     situation where the architect is considered to be doing a work for
     hire and the copyright would belong to the donor?  Or does the
     copyright stay with the architect?  Plus, I was looking at the Library
     of Congress website and their Circular 41 seems to say that no
     building built before 1990 or plans for a building published prior to
     1990 are protected by copyright.  This seems too good to be true. (to
     an archivist at least! maybe not to an architect!)

     Any thoughts?

     Jen Rawlings
     Archivist
     Jefferson National Expansion Memorial