Re: greeting cards

The discussion of greeting cards has been a timely one from our point of view. I
recently finished processing a collection that contained several hundred such cards
spanning the years ca. 1900-1945. They don't tell us anything significant about the
persons to whom they belonged, and we have no intention of keeping them as a part of
those papers. On the other hand, I suspected that they might have other kinds of
value and so set them aside to be dealt with later. The opinions expressed in this
forum on the topic certainly reinforced the idea that such value potentially exists.

We could keep them here as a collection of greeting cards, but that really doesn't
fit our acquisition policy and it would be something of an "orphan" collection.

Are there any archival institutions out there that do acquire such collections and
that might be interested in receiving it? The cards are mostly Christmas, but also
include New Year, Easter, birthday, and sympathy cards. Most are in English, but
there are also some in German. I don't have an exact count of how many we have, but
there are several hundred at least.

We have discussed this matter with the family that donated the collection, and they
are happy to see the cards go to another appropriate place.

--
Kevin Enns-Rempel, Archivist
Center for Mennonite Brethren Studies