Re: The incredible hidden real-world address

Hi there,

I've seen the same omission on library & museum websites.  Even my
own organization buried its postal address two layers down until a
recent redesign.  Maybe you all want to check how your institution's
page measures up.

Webmasters at large organizations might consider a design template
that displays the organization's logo and full address & contact
info, in small print if necessary, at the bottom of every (or at
least every major) page or section of their website, like a sheet of
letterhead.  I'm fond of turning that logo into a clickable image
that returns you to the home page.

A user can enter a website through each and every separate page,
depending on how a search engine has indexed it, or whether other
websites have linked to a separate page, such as your childrens'
programs, representing their particular interest in your
organization.

You might have intended that the page with last year's board minutes
be accessed a few layers down from the home page, but those outdated
minutes might be the first or only link from your website that gets
displayed on a page of search engine results.  Not that Google would
*ever* do this.  :)

  --Cynthia, who wishes she could do this web design stuff for pay

--- "Kurilecz, Peter" <peter.kurilecz@WOODSIDESUMMITGROUP.COM> wrote:
> Jill has pointed a very interesting conundrum of the Internet.
> Although a
> large/vast number of US newspapers have a web presence most are
> still
> parochial in nature. Hunh? They don't supply the name of the town,
> locality
> or state in which they are located. They forget that they are
> supplying
> information now to the entire world not just their little corner.
> Keep this
> in mind when you design and develop your archives' webpage. Not
> everyone
> knows that the Log Cabin Democrat is in Arkansas or that
> Appeal-Democrat is
> in California or that The Record is published in Bergen N.J. The
> other
> problem is access to recent news stories. Recently the Albuquerque
> Journal
> changed their access policy. Only subscribers will be able to
> access the
> previous days stories unlike the NYTimes which now allows free
> access for
> one week.
>
> oh well.
>
> Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
> Manager, Records Management Group
> Woodside Summit Group Inc
> Midlothian, Virginia
> Office: 804-744-1247 x23
> Fax: 804-744-4947
> mailto:peter.kurilecz@woodsidesummitgroup.com

> To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
> listserv@listserv.muohio.edu

> Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt
<rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

=====
"...every modern technology, from television to computers,
was invented by men & women whose education was conducted
almost exclusively with pen, paper, and book."
  --Neil Postman
Cynthia Van Ness, MLS, email: bettybarcode@yahoo.com
Shameless self-promotion: http://cynthia.is-online.net