Location - was RAIN 7/17

This is the same problem we have on the list when people don't indicate the location of the job they are advertising.  I ran into the same thing in another RAIN posting a week or two ago.  The newspaper mentioned "Douglas County" but had no other clue as to place - I searched everything reachable from the link - until I looked at the weather map.  It showed the far West, from about Salt Lake or the eastern edge of Utah to the Pacific, and that was about as close as I could come to locating the scene of the story.  It could have been anywhere from Mexico to Canada, Utah to the coast.

I guess the USA is rapidly becoming a big piece of cultural wallpaper from coast to coast, Wal-Marts and Rite-Aids, McDonald's and Blockbuster Videos being the repeat pattern.  The sense of place is disappearing.  I hope that we as archivists can at least preserve the fact that it once wasn't like this.  A gloomy thought for Wednesday morning.

Fred Lautzenheiser
Cleveland Clinic Foundation