Re: Today's Rain

To supplement Carole's point, I got an email from the Caduceus list (history
of health sciences) the other day about a research project shut down after a
participant died.  They had her inhale something that had been tried before
and shown to be dangerous.  The problem?  The literature search they did was
on PubMed, the National Institute of Health's lit search engine, which only
goes back to 1965 or something like that, and the articles on that substance
predated the engine's coverage.

As I wrote to Caduceus, it's the danger of the internet age that we assume
it's on the computer and if not, it doesn't exist.  In this case, the
results were tragic; more often, you just miss the world of stuff that
predates computerized lists.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu