Re: Gathering statistics on usership

We gather statistics that differentiate among our users by
categories of undergraduates, graduates, faculty, and staff,
and then community, broken down between genealogy and
general research.

We also keep statistics on which areas they used such as
manuscript collections, photograph collections, maps,
newspapers, etc.    These give us some general idea of
demand in the specific areas.

Our statistics are set up so that one user counts as one
use of the department, but they might be here for five
hours, ask ten different questions, and use fifty maps.
So our stats would show one user, but 10 staff uses,
and 50 item uses.

My library friends in reference would count this differently.
Since there were ten questions...they would count that as
ten users.  I've been mulling over whether our statistics are
indeed too conservative.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338