The marking of archival documents

Dear Colleagues
I had an argument with my colleagues in South Africa over the stamping of archival records as they are acquired. Apparently the practice has been going on for some time and is also backed by some sources in archival scholarship. My feeling is that records should not have any annotations other than those of the creators or donors. A stamp is bound to affect the utility of the records as providers of  authentic evidence of the past including the history of their use and handling by their creators. In the event of repositories mergers will add more stamping be done to the cover to reflect change of ownership? May I please have your opinions on the subject so that we can make an informed decision.

Patrick Ngulube (Mr)
University of Natal(PMB)
School of Human and Social Studies
Department of Information Studies