From: "Hamson, Susan" <susanh@CHEMHERITAGE.ORG>
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: A rose by any other name?  I don't think so!
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:57:42 -0400

Hi all.

I thought I'd toss this one out to you since we've been without a
discussion
thread for a bit and since I'm completely peeved at the moment.

I had an experience yesterday when someone--uninformed about libraries and
archives--asked me if archivists were a subset of librarians.  As I
answered, "No, they are different."  I was countered by two librarians who
chimed in and offered, "No, they're essentially the same thing."  As we
were
in a meeting, I was unable to call these individuals on the comment, but .
.
.

My question for my fellow archivists out there is this:  Do you see
yourself
distinct from librarians?  And (I'm certainly assuming so) how would you
counter that comment?

Susan
---
Susan Hamson
Archivist <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Othmer Library of Chemical History
Chemical Heritage Foundation
315 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA  19106-2702
Voice: 215-925-2222
Fax: 215-925-6195

The views expressed in this message are those of the author and not
necessarily those of the Chemical Heritage Foundation.