Re: Volunteers in the archives

I have had several volunteers. The jobs I give them generally depend on the
level at which I think they can operate, and upon the jobs that need doing.
The more capable ones I have actually had arrange, house, and catalog small
collections (with a good deal of guidance and supervision, of course). Other
duties: labeling file folders and boxes; sorting accessioned materials from
unaccessioned (we have a sizeable and very messy backlog); mounting
newspaper clippings on acid free paper; helping retrieve donations from
offsite. So far, I have had great results with my volunteers (and an intern,
too!), and highly recommend their use in the archives. Hope you find this
helpful, and good luck!

Joe Gillette
Orange County Regional History Center
Orlando, FL