Re: Numbering glossy prints.

I'm not clear, Ketina, whether you are dealing with contemporary prints (on
resin coated paper) or historic prints.

A very soft (No.3 plus) pencil works alright on the verso of resin coated
material; and any No.2 grade is good for conventional "paper-type" (pulp)
paper.

Photo markers can be a problem in that the ink can bleed through some
pulp-based photo papers, and I don't know how chemically inert the ink may
be for long-term archival preservation purposes.

You could consdier doing type-script, self-stick labels, but then there's
the issue of whether the tacky glue on a label is chemically good for the
photo. And the label might later fall off if the glue has a short life,
especially in very cool/dry archival storage conditions.

I suggest staying with soft-graphite pencils and hope for the best. It's the
practice to which I am most accustomed, by archival and library experience.

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
California State Archives