Re: foxing

The last I heard on this (recently, from a professional paper conservator), there is no definitive answer to this question. Some people think it is caused by small particles of iron that have oxidized (i.e., rusted); others think it is a  form of mold, and there may be other theories. The people who advocate the mold theory advocate separating the books. I have some very old books in my rare books collection with foxing, but they are still otherwise in decent condition--or at least, relatively so, considering their age.I'll be interested to see other answers to this question.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> "Pearson, Paul" <pmpearson@BELLARMINE.EDU> 07/25/01 01:45PM >>>
I have just received a hand printed book on hand made paper which has
evidence of foxing. We have another edition of the same book in the
collection here which is still in mint condition.

What causes foxing? Will the book with foxing deteriorate further? Should it
be kept separate from other items in the collection?