one archives--two reference sites

I would like to hear from any archivists that have reference/research rooms
in separate buildings.

What I am describing would be two fully functioning research rooms ( 2 1/2
blocks apart). One of them would have  microfilm of some of the collections
(approximately 15-20% of the collections have been microfilmed), some
10,000+ rolls of microfilmed newspapers,  approx. a thousand volumes of
bound newspapers and a book collection of approximately 100,000 volumes.
The second would be in the building that holds the original
collections--approximately 15,000 cu. ft of records. It is anticipated that
researchers in the second building will also have access to a portion of
the microfilmed collections either by using the microfilm or a CD of
digital images of the microfilm frames. Possibility of scanning images and
sending digital files between research areas. Each of these rooms would be
open 8 hours a day, five days a week.

Concerns: (1) small staff (three archivists, two librarians)--we might get
another staff person and (2) patron convenience

We would like to replicate others' successes.

Melanie Sturgeon

Melanie I. Sturgeon, Ph.D.
Director, History and Archives Division
Arizona Department of Library Archives and Public Records
phone 602-542-4159
fax: 602-542-4402
www.lib.az.us