Re: Morning sickness in the archives

I haven't run across this yet.  But if we do, I don't think I would let a researcher with bad morning sickness have the crackers right there at the desk.  We have lockers for our researchers to stash all but their notes.  I would recommend that she keep the crackers in the locker and make her way to the crackers as she needs them, to then return back to the desk crumb free.  And if she needs to be eating them more often than every fifteen minutes or so, perhaps I would set up a chair near her that has her crackers on it.  She could physically turn away from the desk and get crumbs over the cracker chair instead of potentially on the documents on her desk...

I sure wouldn't want to be trying to concentrate on research with a woozy stomach!

Stasia Wolfe

Archivist
Sacramento Archives and Museum Collection Center
551 Sequoia Pacific Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95814
916-264-7074

>>> "Mr Robert D. Shuster" <Robert.D.Shuster@WHEATON.EDU> 07/30/01 12:13PM >>>
I had a researcher recently who asked if she could have some crackers
with her at her desk.  I told her no food or drink was permitted in the
archives.  Then she said she was having morning sickness and
nibbling on the crackers helped her from getting nauseous, so I said
she could keep a few at her desk.  Has anyone else had a similar
situation at their archives?  How have they handled it?  It is a small
question, but I had never thought of it before, so I was curious what
other archivists would do.

Bob Shuster
BGC Archives